Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Newborns are so much fun to knit for!

Be Wise My Sons: I have just finished my 2 newborn sleep sacks for Jackson and Gideon!



These were made from the pattern by Teresa Cole published in her blog "Comfort Wool Blog".  It's called the 'Owlie Sleep Sack' and the 'Owlie Hat'.  The pattern is written out so nicely that even me, a cable needle newbie, could figure it out. 
The owl detail was fun to see working out on the needles:



The sacks were done on a size 7, 16" circular needle then to close the sack I switched to dpns (double pointed needles).  My first time using dpns.  It was a bit of a challenge to get things right, and I struggled a bit with them on the first sack, but I breezed thru on the 2nd.  The advice I would give on switching to the dpns is to switch in between markers not at the marker.  That seemed to work for me and to do 2 'owls' per dpn, 2 or so.  If you have an easier way, just let me know.  The closing off by drawing the yarn tail through the remaining stitches and pulling tight was great!  I did enjoy making the sacks.
The Hats:  I've never knitted a cap before so this was fun.  The owl pattern is reversed, and easy to do.  They are so cute and little! 

 The patterns are free at Ms. Cole's blog, so go ahead and try them!


Oh, and the name:  Be Wise my Sons.  That is from a scripture at Proverbs 27:11:  "Be wise my sons and make my heart rejoice, so I can make a reply to him that is taunting me." 
Since owls are considered wise, I thought this is a nice wish for these 2 newborn boys to grow up with - be wise!

No comments:

Post a Comment